We had our first day of school yesterday. It is a day filled with so many new faces and names (half of which I can not say properly), and so it was nice to see a few old ones drop in. The greatest moment of yesterday, was when one of my students from last year walked in to share his fears and excitements of the day. He was one that would make me lose countless hours of sleep. David would ask about him daily; occasionally I would cry, and not know what to do. This child was one that had given up on himself in academics. He has an amazing talent at football, and just figured that some coach would get him by in classes. He and I struggled all year in learning to work with one another and building trust. We finally did when he passed TAKS for the first time and got to pie me in the face. The last thing I told him before he left was, "Don't ever give up faith in yourself, again!"
I did not realize until yesterday, the bond that must have been built between him, and all of the teachers in our grade. I literally thought that I was a pain in his butt, and someone he never cared to see again. I now know that for some we are their safe place, their constant thing, and mostly their motivation. My students are at such a crucial time in their lives that the belief in themselves comes and goes within seconds, but they know through the tears, yells, and smiles that I will always believe in them. And that is partly why I teach!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow that's terrific! I love hearing stories like that- it does make everything worth it! :)
Glad you have a blog- I will be a faithful reader!
Welcome to the blog world! I'll be checking in often.
Your students are lucky to have you.
Post a Comment